Have y'all heard of folks who have received a job offer and successfully delayed their start date 6 month? How about even delaying a full year? If so, I imagine that it shouldn't be broached until an offer is in hand?
Date: 04 Dec 2014 22:38
Number of posts: 8
RSS: New posts
I know of many many R1 psych departments that do this. They see tons of promise in a candidate and they let them do a postdoc for a year before starting the job.
I got asked at an interview (R1) if I wanted to defer. I said I wanted to defer 1 year if possible. I got the job and was told it was possible.
I stated I wouldn't be available for a year at time of interview to the chair of dept. Situation: round 2 of interviews, given that round 1 was not successful, in May; I had already taken a year-long post-doc. This turned out to be fine with the chair, but at time of offer, I still needed to remind the dean that this was the case. In effect, I delayed the start date by one year. But bottom line: it's doable.
I successfully deferred for a year, but was told not to bring up the fact that I'd like to defer until after I had an offer.
Depends on the school type. In my experience, deferring is super common for R1 institutions. At R2s or SLACs though, not so much as they usually need someone now and not a year from now.
I was interviewed for an R1 position last year and was told informally that I did not get the job mostly because they knew they could not defer.
Well, if you absolutely needed to defer, then I guess they made the right decision.
I'm not saying I recommend that you bring it up spontaneously pre-offer. But if they ask you, you have to say something. If you must defer, say you must defer. If it's just something you'd like, say that if it's feasible for the department, you'd like to consider it for this, that, and the other reason. If they find that so off-putting that they immediately make the offer to someone else, you probably weren't going to be happy there.