I had an interview in early November and was told that there were two candidates after me, but that they hoped to have a decision by Thanksgiving. I haven't heard anything, and am wondering when it is too soon to follow up. I don't currently have another offer in hand, so it's not that I am in a time-crunch, but obviously I would like to know. How soon is too soon to follow up and ask about the status of the search?
Date: 06 Dec 2014 01:13
Number of posts: 6
RSS: New posts
A good search committee chair will only see your inquiry favorably - that you're patiently waiting and still interested. That said, this isn't too unusual. The November/December period is nuts at most institutions. I find we faculty tend to have over ambitious deadline goals with most things, including search decisions.
My rules of thumb is, if you don't hear from them as promised, just assume that you are not the first choice and move on.
I would definitely check in. Even if you are not the top choice, you might be the second (or even third) and that is not bad news per se. Your inquiry, as DocJ notes, will only let them know that you are still interested and it might remind them of how much they liked you, and might even give them some motivation to light a fire under the first choice and start to realize that "Hey, we have a really good person waiting in the wings…"
I've always heard that checking in can only help. It shows that you are interested.
you might not be the first choice, but expressing interest could catapult you from #3 to #2 if the committee was on the fence.