see on main wiki that an offer was made and rescinded….
yikes! what's the longer version of the story?
Date: 12 Dec 2014 21:12
Number of posts: 11
RSS: New posts
oh man… I guess better to have that happen early rather than later, but that blows…. kind of resonates with http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-illinois-professor-israel-20140813-story.html#page=1
or could be for a similar reason as this one—> http://theprofessorisin.com/2014/03/14/the-rescinded-offer-who-is-in-the-wrong/
The longer version of the story:
Interim Dean Marpe verbally offered the position. I asked about the decision timeline, and he said a week after sending my potential acceptance to HR should be possible, though "there was a strong applicant pool". I asked about research support, and he seemed unprepared for the question, saying that all faculty are given a desk and computer. When I clarified I was asking about support for the equipment and supplies that would allow me to do the (heavily student-driven biological psychology) research I had discussed with the committee, he hadn't heard of the phrase "startup package". He said he would have to find out and get back to me after discussing the matter with others. When he did e-mail the next day, he wrote "support depends on the research area and funding available" and accelerated the decision timeline so that I would have only over the weekend. I wrote an e-mail saying I was counting on enough time to learn about research support, "I will need a more complete picture of all the terms, including the source and size of research start-up tailored to my research area. … Of course, I will need to see the terms of the contract in writing before I can make any final commitment." Meanwhile, the chair told me research support was indeed negotiable. She couldn't offer a ballpark figure, and cautioned that someone would go through to make sure that I wasn't requesting "the best of the best". She told me I should send an itemized request to the VPAA. Since the position emphasizes teaching, I e-mailed a spreadsheet with the smallest summary total I have ever heard of someone being offered at an SLAC. The VPAA never responded to my phone calls or to an e-mail with the proposed equipment. The Dean e-mailed the next day Friday rescinding the offer, calling it a matter of not fitting my "research and teaching preferences." It would have taken him just over the weekend to let his accelerated clock run out on me.
Wow. If anon10003's post is a relatively accurate reflection of what went on, this is pretty nasty business.
Wow….that is terrible. A perfectly reasonable question that the dean should expect and be prepared for…my sympathies that you had to experience that, but their loss (and you're likely better off) if they can't handle even the most common of job offer questions!
Yes, that sounds like an inept school, and probably not a job worth having. I feel sorry for the students who go there, though.
That is amazingly messed up. I wonder if someone will even accept the position after hearing this story (i.e. if the other candidates follow the wiki). It's one thing to just not have the money, but a) you can't then choose to hire a biological psych person, and b) you can't tell the chair of the dept/search one thing when you're operating a different way. What a disaster! Also administrators need to know that rescinded offers are a BIG deal. OP you could choose to make a big stink about this and it would be all over the chronicle of higher ed, and that school will really be punished for it. Not to mention you were being very normal about the whole thing, unlike the Nazareth case wherein the candidate asked for a bunch of somewhat unreasonable things all at once (IMO the school was still in the wrong in her case for rescinding before simply negotiating and giving her information.)
time to update the "Universities to fear, wiki". I hope the number 2 person reads this…
Goodness the "full story" is awful but this is important learning experience. You deserve so much better than that. Can you imagine how unsupportive they would have been if you actually took the job? Not worth it. Similarly to the Nazareth case that I posted, St. Mary's falls into the category of "small SLAC with a religious affiliation." It's important to be careful with those kinds of schools…some of them are very insular for some reason…and harsh during negotiations sometimes. I interviewed at one of those last year and they said that I would have 48 hours to decide if they offered me a TT job. WTF! I also couldn't stand how they kept rubbing their "holy-ness" in my face. Folks at the "secular" schools where I interviewed were much nicer, warmer, and reasonable during negotiations. Best wishes to you!