Late this afternoon (Fri) I received an offer I believe I will take. However, the negotiations are going to move quickly, and they want start up info, etc from me no later than Tuesday. I really need the weekend and early Monday to do this thoroughly. PROBLEM: I am supposed to fly to another interview Sun morning and be there through Tues nite. Do I cancel that interview last minute? THEY paid for the flight, so I lose nothing financially. Also, I am 98% certain I will take this or another offer over the upcoming interview. Advice?
Date: 13 Dec 2014 00:37
Number of posts: 13
RSS: New posts
If you will accept the offer, just cancel your next trip and focus on your negotiation.
My suggestions is that you reject all the offers, and then cancel all your interviews.
FWWI, I was in the exact same position a few years back. I had an offer and was negotiating salary/startup with University A. I went on an interview at University B because I felt obligated (they had already purchased the flight), but I had zero intentions of accepting an offer from this university. I was able to tell University B that I had an offer, and they would need to let me know where I stood quickly. University B made me an offer the day after I got home. With two offers, I was able to leverage one against the other. In addition, during my interview at University B (where I had no intentions of going) it became apparent that it was a much better place for me. I actually ended up at University B with an excellent package, better than I could have gotten without multiple offers. I am VERY happy I didn't cancel that interview.
Don't cancel - just like adnon said above. You never know about the other place and leverage is everything.
Every visit is a chance to meet faculty who are genuinely interested in your work, to learn about grants and plans and research programs, jr. faculty development systems, etc… You can also learn a bit about how different departments run (shared governance v. appointed chairs and heads of departments…). Unless you've already signed the benefits almost surely outweigh the costs (e.g., I've seen verbal offers dissolve and dilute—even at R1 & R2 levels).
Or… If you're happy with the offer you have, you can cancel and give another candidate without an offer an opportunity to get a job…
If you decide to go, you won't be taking an opportunity from another person. There's no guarantee that the second school will even make you an offer. If an offer does go to you, and you decide to use it for leverage to get a higher salary at the first school… you win. If it goes to you and you decide to take it… you win. If it doesn't go to you, it will go to someone else, and you've still got the first offer… you win. It's not like they'll decide to not higher because you went somewhere else.
The school would likely invite another candidate for the interview if someone cancelled, so it would be taking an opportunity from another person.
This is the job market, not kindergarten. I've known people who have canceled interviews after getting an offer to give the opportunity to someone else and got screwed in negotiations because there was no alternative. If you've accepted a formal offer with a school and the i's are dotted and t's crossed, then cancel the interview. If not, take the interview you were given as one of the top qualified candidates because you never know - you may like the other school.