First, thanks for reading this. This community has already been so helpful in advising me through my job search. I received an offer for a TT position at a university with a good fit, not great. I would be making some compromises for sure, but they aren't unmanagable. They would like a decision immediately after the new year and have already stated this in writing, with the offer itself in writing. I did not make any committal statements when they made the offer, only sounded happy and stated that I would get back to them. While I have multiple interviews scheduled in January that I will likely cancel now, I would like to keep an interview for, let's call it, the potential "dream job." This interview, the interview, is in the process of being scheduled within the next few weeks, likely right after the new year. For many reasons, I think that this could be THE job. The fit at THE job seems ideal in many ways compared to the current offer when I consider: teaching load, research support, student culture, the culture of the department, the connection I already feel with the committee from an initial Skype interview, quality of life, etc… I already reached out to the SC chair to express this dilemma. I laid out my cards entirely stating that from what I know, they are my top choice, and the SC chair echoed that they too, think it could be an excellent fit. The SC chair asked me to wait and said they will do what they can to get me interviewed ASAP so I can know where I stand. My concern is that even if I interview immediately after the holiday, my pending deadline on my offer will pass in the time it will take the SC to interview the other applicants and even verbally let me know if I am getting an offer or not to be considered.
How much time can one ask for on an offer decision extension? What is realistic without being ungracious or offensive?
How much information can/should you share in asking for an extension on time?
Is this a futile effort? I am concerned because even if I get a short extension on my offer to, let's say, the second week of January, it seems nearly impossible that this other SC will have the ability to figure out their decision by then as we have the holiday break, travel schedules, and other candidates to consider.
I can't imagine not, at least seeing what could happen with this other potential perfect job. But I know the competition for it is steep, and I do already have an offer for a job that I could make work. I don't want to offend or jeopardize my position for the "bird in the hand" in case this other opportunity doesn't pan out.