It has been a month since I had an interview at an R1 school. I have heard nothing, so I am assuming at this point that they have hired someone else. Does it look desperate if I ask if this is the case? I have had interviews in the past where I have not heard a word from them. What do people think? Should I just move on? I find it frustrating to not at least get an email that says, thank you, we've hired someone else.
Date: 13 Jan 2015 17:42
Number of posts: 13
RSS: New posts
just ask. no need to assume, or to worry about what they might think. It certainly is reasonable to ask after a month.
Yeah, call but don't email. If they haven't contacted you, you're likely still in the running but maybe not the top choice. They won't cut folks who are good enough until someone signs on the dotted line, and they won't tell you you're not #1 in an email, but on the phone you might get hints. In my experience maybe around 50% of negotiations at R1s fail, so if you're number 2 odds aren't great but really not too bad, either…
Just ask, email is fine. They will tell you if they think is appropriate.
It's fine to inquire. I just did after a 6 week wait. At my interview, was told I would hear either 1) an offer or 2) still under consideration before the holidays and had heard nothing so I inquired via email. Was told that an offer had been made, but that individual was considering multiple offers and I should now hear a final no or given the 2nd offer in 1-2 weeks. Rather than living with no info, I'm now dealing with the disappointment of not getting the #1 offer & still having to wait for final closure! Just be prepared for the different answers you could get.
I agree with the previous anon. "Moving on" is a bad idea, imo, because you could very well be in the running. That said, if it's been a month you are pretty much guaranteed not the first pick. That doesn't mean they didn't completely love you. They could have all completely loved you, but also completely loved another candidate who happened to have a bit more impressive C.V. or a slightly better research topic match.
First choice picks often have other options, though, so your chances aren't necessarily that bad if you are #2. Good luck to you and the previous anon!
It is good to express your interest in case you were basically tied for 2nd and 3rd choice - this way they know you are interested and might be more inclined to offer it to you next.
What about calling a department if you have not heard whether you have an interview? This is for a more recent posting but it's been about a month since the deadline. Would it be appropriate to call to ask when they might send out interview offers?
I don't think it is a good idea to call a department to ask about interviews.
no for interviews. I would only do that if you are up against an immediate deadline for something else.