I have already contacted the search chair at my top choice school three times: once to ask whether they received my application in the mail, once with an updated CV with a new publication and a third time because I received a job offer and wanted to know my status. I have now received a second job offer (I turned down the first one for various reasons, one of which is that I'm holding out to see what will happen with my first choice). Should I contact again because of this second offer and ask for an update? Is this too much pestering? I'm thinking of emailing and this time making it clear that this school is my top choice because of fit and location.
Date: 30 Jan 2015 15:50
Number of posts: 8
RSS: New posts
Also, when I asked about my status in December, they said they should have a short list in January and will do interviews in Feb. So since I haven't heard from them by now, I thought maybe I could ask.
I guess you would just have to be patient. if you don't hear from them early Feb, then you may ask.
Search chairs are fulfilling a thankless duty atop of teaching, research, a host of committee and other service work, all while trying to wrangle other search committee members (and admins). Patience is essential. If you're a top candidate, they'll let you know. If it takes them forever to get back to you, it might be a sign that there are troubles at the institution - budget, communication, divisional competition, though this isn't necessarily the case.
To me, there are only three real reasons to contact a search chair: 1) if you have an offer from another institution you might take (or bluff that you'll take) and try to get things moving, 2) if you have a major CV update or accomplishment (e.g. a new publication in a good journal, a decent grant from a mainstream organization), or 3) to withdraw your application.
Is #2 true even at a more teaching oriented place, where an extra pub might in theory work against the applicant? Or is it always just best to report new and especially new first author pubs in good journals?
Thanks DocJ. Your advice is always so sensible. Given that you have a TT position (or so I gather from some of your other posts), are you part of an SC this year?
If an extra publication works against you, you should strongly consider whether you want to work at such a place. Do you plan on reducing your publication output to make others happy?
If the trade off is between having a job and "whether you want to work at such a place"… I agree that certain institutions are scared of too many pubs because you aren't focused on teaching. It's the way it is and there are many opinions about this topic on many other threads on this wiki.
Glad to try to assist. I can neither affirm nor deny my current status on any search committee. That said, I'm at a more teaching oriented institution. We'd be very glad to know any candidate landed some recent, worthy, research accomplishments. This shows that one is active, which makes us think that the candidate would be an active member of our department.