I am in the fortunate position of having a verbal offer from the position I want while still receiving inquiries/requests for phone interviews/calls to my references from other schools. I fully plan to take the verbal offer and was waiting to withdraw from other searches until I had actually signed on the dotted line (with negotiation and administrative approval this has taken some time), but I feel a little awkward about proceeding with SCs (and possibly taking up space on their short list) when I am more or less expecting to withdraw any day now. So I have 2 questions:
Is everyone else just proceeding with all possible positions until they formally accept an offer? Should I not feel so guilty?
When it is time to withdraw, any advice about how to handle that? Do I say where I'm going? Do I explain any details? Do I need to contact places that have recent-ish deadlines but have not contacted me, or only the ones who have?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts!