I just arrived at a new tenure track position (assistant professor, R2, mediocre pay). Another Uni, after a lengthy search and negotiation process, has offered Associate, astronomically higher salary, and immediate tenure review (and a spring start date - gasp). I intend on taking it. My question - how and when to let my current uni know? And how to prepare for the blow back? Can the current uni/dean make me stay? (the faculty handbook or contract doesn't say so) Ready. Set. Go!
Date: 06 Aug 2015 21:04
Number of posts: 5
RSS: New posts
They can't make you stay. Slavery is illegal in the US. At most, there can be financial penalties for leaving. I doubt it, but maybe check with an employment lawyer if you are concerned.
Your current department will probably be upset, though, and reasonably. You might be able to avoid some of that if you at least give them the opportunity to counter-offer. If they can't match the offer, you'll be in a better position justifying your decision to them and to other people.
But in the end, you are in the position of someone who, having just gotten married, decides to ditch your spouse for an old flame. Will your reputation take a hit? Probably. Will you recover? Probably. But you may need to be careful for a bit.
I guess there's no time like the present to break it to your employer. Perhaps they can even call up someone they liked from the interview list and try to get that person to start in the spring. If the back-up is still in a postdoc or something, it would be easy for them to leave that position on short-ish notice, probably.
Ideally, you can get your next place to start you in the spring/summer instead.
I don't think I ever would have stayed in the second search after accepting the first position, but given that you did and it turned out so well, I do think you ought to take the new position.
There may be rules around any moving expenses you received, etc. Is the new position negotiable on start date at all? At the end of the day, you have to take the other position; you only live once. I agree with guest, though; stay put at the new place and let your reputation recover. I also ditto asstprof; tell your current job now. They'll likely be upset, but less so now than if you tell them later; maybe they can get the search re-opened for this year!
please tell them before they put you on the spring schedule!
it can be a bitch to find replacements, especially if you're scheduled to do your specialty courses in topics that are difficult to staff.