I have an offer in hand for a TT asst prof position. I will not disclose much about the position except that it is at a small school in a desirable place to live and was the first place I had an in-person interview. I have applied for several other positions, and have some phone interviews and on campus interviews still to come. I've also received some rejections without interviews. The future interviews are in less desirable places to live. There are also recent job postings, with due dates in the near future, at more desirable universities and equally desirable living conditions. Finally, there is a highly competitive, non TT position, which is actually my top choice, that will notify applicants in mid Spring.
Part of me wants to accept this first offer, be done with it all, pull myself out of other searches, and celebrate. Another part wants to accept the offer, pull myself out of other searchers, EXCEPT the one that notifies in a few months, and be prepared to pull out of the accepted TT position should I land this other position. A third part wants to be totally honest with this SC and let them know I'm holding out for a different offer, and perhaps they would make this offer more enticing. And then there's the thought that "if I'm willing to pull out of an offer for "THE ONE" position, then maybe I can be willing to pull out for ANY position. Go ahead and keep applying."
Thoughts? Applicants who have been in similar situations? Perspectives from SC members? thank you