I'm in bit quagmire and hoping to get some insight from some seasoned job seekers.
I've received my first TT offer at low priority school (high teaching load, low pay, remote location, scarce research resources) with a very tight, one week response timeline. I've had on-campus interviews at a couple of other schools, however, these schools will not make a decision about an offer for another week or two, meaning a week or two beyond the "tight initial deadline" for initial low-priority school.
In addition, I've heard back from a few other schools that I'm on their unofficial phone interview list but realistically speaking even if I'm invited for an on-campus visit and subsequently offered a position, I wouldn't hear about this until about a month from now, or 3-4 weeks beyond initial deadline at low priority school.
SO my questions are as follows (please do alert me if there are previous posts addressing these issues):
1. Is it reasonable to ask for a 2-4 week extension for a response from low-priority school beyond their initial deadline? Is there such a thing as asking for "too much"? If I ask for an extension beyond their liking, can they rescind the offer OR impose a deadline on me so to speak? Has anyone ever experienced that an extension wasn't granted or wasn't granted for as long as one hoped for?
2. Given that low priority school's offer is shoddy anyway, would I be able to hypothetically use this as a leverage for negotiations shall I get a better offer at similar institutions? In other words, when multiple offers are on the table, can you use the pure argument that you have multiple offers as a foundation for negotiation? OR, does this only work if there are some aspects of one offer that are more competitive than the other (at comparable R2 institutions)? I am essentially trying to figure out if it is better to just decline low priority schools's offer sooner rather than later or should I keep this shoddy offer on the table for as long as I can just in case it can help as a leverage for negotiating. This also goes into the topic of negotiating - when you are negotiating, can they ask for details of your other offers, such as salary, course load etc.?
3. I don't feel too comfortable with this option but accepting low-priority school's offer by the latest deadline I can negotiate for is another possibility - then rescinding the position shall I get better offer. I would feel pretty uncomfortable with this however.
Any advice and insight would be MUCH appreciated!!!