I went on an interview 7 weeks ago and was informed that i was the second to last interview. About 12 days ago I emailed the search chair to check in regarding the status and got a very vague response that they would let me know the status as soon as the could. I know that it can take quite a while to process, but this seems long even for academic standards. I am guessing they offered it to first choice and are waiting, but who knows. I'm guessing at this point I should just wait for any word and not follow up again unless i have another offer in hand and have a deadline, correct? Ugh.
Date: 08 Mar 2016 20:40
Number of posts: 12
RSS: New posts
as difficult as that might be, yes I think your plan is the right one.
Thanks, Curious. When I inquired a few weeks ago I affirmed my continued interest in the position and thanked them for their time and consideration. So now I'll just wait, even if it kills me ;)
Original message from "curious" is below, re-posted (at the request of "curious") after removing personally identifying information:
What has likely happened is that they offered the position to someone else but that person is taking their time negotiating. However, that person might also have another offer in hand and they are trying to get a better offer from a different university that they like better. Your only choice is to wait. You may be the 2nd candidate and may get the offer if the other candidate refuses. Be very positive with the Chair. It may take some time. If the 1st candidate refuses, permission for your hire may need to happen up the ladder of the institution again (this can take a few weeks). If you do get an offer, you should generally be able to move the process along (Unfortunately, I have 2 offers. Even with them, I have been unable to move another search along for a position that I had a campus interview for). However, without a offer you have NO LEVERAGE IN MOVING ANYTHING ALONG, so be very nice to the Chair so that they still want to offer you the position if someone has refused.
Thanks for this post. I am in a similar situation. I am most interested in School A. I received an offer from School B and was able to use that to learn from the Chair at School A that I was probably 2nd. I learned the timeline for School A to decide was early February. I turned down School B (and am happy w that regardless of what happens w School A).
I received an offer from School C, and am interested. But still not as interested as I am in School A. I am assuming School A is negotiating with their first choice. I reached out to the Chair at School A two weeks ago to see if they could tell me anything about status or timeline — letting the Chair know I had another offer I had to decide about. I've heard nothing back and now am not sure what to do. I have a few weeks before I have to decide about School C.
At what point could I reach out again? The Chair was so communicative the first time this came up that it feels strange to have heard nothing back.
I made the original post as curious…. I think after 2 weeks you should feel free to reach out again. However, keep in mind that the clock might be running down on someone else's offer or the chair may be obtaining permissions to make the offer to you. If you must, be really nice and explain to the chair that you now have two offers and you will need to make a decision soon (there is no need to explain that you turned one down), but school A is your first choice. You will need some time to negotiate with school A if they provide an offer.
Does anyone have advice on this issue in UK job searches? The turnaround time for a decision is usually extremely fast (often the offer goes out the day of or after the interview), but I interviewed over a week ago and haven't heard anything. I am assuming I'm not the first choice, but I would like to know where I stand and if I am still being considered if the first choice declines the offer. I don't have an offer in hand so I can afford to wait, but it's driving me crazy! The social norms are quite different in UK academia, so I don't want to come off as a pushy American.
AlsoWaiting - I would reach out again to the chair, but it's not a great sign that s/he didn't respond last time. Maybe they are very close to finalizing it with their first candidate.
Meanwhile, you should start the negotiation process with C, but do it slowly. I'm just saying make sure you have your requests ready. Make sure they know that you are still interested and eager.
Sit tight and don't do anything unless you have competing offer or campus interview. Negotiation with candidate 1 can sometimes take a month or more. In the mean time, seek out other opportunities.
Anyone else still waiting to hear from the committee after February interviews? Feeling down that I haven't heard any sort of timeline a month later. Just looking to see if anyone else was in this boat!