Dear forum members,
I am ABD and did not receive any TT offers in this job cycle. I also applied for a few postdoc positions but have not heard back anything yet. Some of the deadlines were April 1st, though, so there is still time. In the meantime, my advisor suggested that I could stay as a postdoc at my current institution. If I accept this offer (for which I am very grateful) I will be working with the same advisor for at least 1 more year. They may ask me to make a 2-year commitment even but that part is still to be decided.
What should I do? I may not end up having any other options, in that case this question becomes irrelevant. But my advisor may ask me to make a decision in a few weeks, before I hear anything from other postdocs. They will want to advertise for the position if I am not willing to stay. But what if new postings pop up in the meantime with later deadlines? Would it be a bad move for my career to work with the same advisor for 7 years even though 2 of them will be as a postdoc?
My end goal is to work at an institution that has some research emphasis and not too heavy teaching requirements but it does not have to be an R1.
I will really appreciate your opinions. Thanks!