Is it appropriate/expected to give a parting/thank you gift to your doctoral advisor? If so, any ideas or advice about what kind of gift is typical? I'll be graduating this summer.
I shared small gifts with my advisor and other dissertation committee members who wrote recommendations for me after I had my first academic job following graduate studies. There are numerous options.
- A copy of a new handbook or academic book in your advisor's research area (check that he/she doesn't have it first!)
- A gift card to Amazon
- Gift card to Starbucks (if he/she drinks coffee a lot)
- Bottle of wine in a nice gift bag (if he/she drinks it)
- Nice pen in a box (good for signing dissertations)
- Gift card to an on-campus lunch place
In general, I'd keep any gifts $50 or under, but would always include a thoughtful, hand written note or card.