I applied to a tt position at an R1 earlier in the fall (I'm in clinical psych, on the market for the first time this year straight from internship and have had a few phone and campus interviews but no offers yet). I had a Skype interview for the tt job about a month ago, but no word since then so I'm not very optimistic. The institution also has a postdoc program that is a good fit for me. If I applied, it would be to work with a mentor who is on the search committee. Is it a bad idea to apply for the postdoc? Should I wait until I have greater certainty about the status of my tt application? I don't want to hurt my chances of getting the faculty job if I'm still in the running, but also don't want to miss out on a good opportunity.
Clindevtt, why don't you just contact the search committee chair to ask about your status? You can even mention your interest in the postdoc. Others may have other thoughts, but, I can't imagine that mentioning your interest in the postdoc would hurt your chances of getting the faculty position.