I'm currently waiting to see if I receive an offer from my top school (should be another 7-10 days), but I'm also getting invitations to visit other campuses that I'm less interested in. I certainly won't go on an interview if I've already accepted an offer elsewhere, but I don't want to be in a position in which I'm stuck with a nonrefundable ticket. Is there a tactful way of saying "I'm interested in your school, but I want to wait to hear back from this other place before buying airfare"??
Date: 20 Jan 2010 21:36
Number of posts: 7
RSS: New posts
Isn't the University paying for your airfare? They really should be.
This is why schools ask candidates to pay up front—if you decide not to do the interview after all, at least you can pay a fee and still use the ticket; the school is totally out.
If you are at all interested in the position at the other school, then you should seriously consider planning on the interview; the 7-10 day estimate from the first school may get extended (admin approval often takes longer than anyone anticipates) and you may not get the offer. If you try to delay at the new school, they may just say thank you and move on to their next candidate. That's what I'd do…
I agree with the anon who posted at 23:38. Some considerations:
1. What if you don't get the offer? In that case, you'll need to rely on those invitations to other schools.
2. What if you get the offer, but it's not a good one (and the school plays hardball with the negotiation)? Even though it's your top school, you may want to go with a different opportunity.
3. How far off would these other interviews be? If they'd only be 2-3 weeks away, I'd say go ahead and schedule them. As the anon said, you could be waiting longer than 7-10 days to hear back from your top school.
Those are just some thoughts. I don't know of any tactful way to stall the other schools while waiting for the top school without them getting a distinct "you're not particularly interested in us" vibe.
Southwest is the best airline for ticket changes… No fees and all the credit can be forwarded to a new ticket which is easily booked on the web. The credit is good for a year!
in the end, if you get a good faculty position, either at number one choice or at second choice, I don't think it would matter if you did or did not end up paying for a plane ticket. 5 years from now, it won't matter. as other people have mentioned, if you schedule the interview and don't end up going, you can always use the credits of the plane ticket to fly somewhere else.
HOWEVER, if you really don't think you will end up going to school #2, even if you did interview there, then I wouldn't waste the time of the SC and other potential applicants who REALLY want to go there by scheduling the interview.