I had a 'preliminary' phone interview for a position and was told that they will be making decisions/invitations to campus within two weeks. Three weeks later, I contacted the chair to follow up and was told that there had been a delay on their part, but they should be moving forward within the next two weeks. It is now again in the third week since that last communication. Would it be ok to follow up again? Or would it appear 'impatient'/annoying? Thanks for any advice….
Those on the search committee know very much that all of the finalists are eager for a decision. However, there is little any prodding will do unless 1) you have another offer in hand or 2) gained a significant accomplishment since the interview such as having a manuscript accepted in an impact-factor rated journal or won an external grant. So, be patient for now. Delays happen for various reasons, but in the meantime it's worthwhile to peruse late season job ads and still keep applying.