I am struggling to make a decision between 1) accepting a faculty job at a R2 University that I like but do not love (and the geographical location is less than ideal), 2) declining and seeing if another faculty job pans out (I am in the phone interviewing stage for a few other faculty jobs currently, but of course, there is no guarantee), or 3) declining and going for a post doc that would allow me to work on licensure, get out some more pubs, and apply for some larger grants and then go back out on the market again in a few years. I assume that this would make me more competitive. Is the job market for faculty positions at research universities expected to improve over the next few years?
Also, if I were to accept this faculty job and after a few years, I decided I wanted to go elsewhere, how hard is it to move from one TT position to another TT position as an assistant professor? Is it easier to get hired as a TT assistant professor coming from postdoc or another university or does it not matter? Also, is it easier to wait until one has tenure (so early associate professor) and then apply to other universities or do it as an assistant professor, before tenure?