I was in the very fortunate position to receive more than one job offer and I am still interviewing. One of the positions (University A) is by far my first choice and I am in the process of negotiating with them. They are able to supply me with everything I need and therefore the other schools' offers are not really needed as bargaining chips. And, the job offer is official, public, and dean-approved at this point so I'm quite sure it will not fall through.
Looking for advice on the following :
- At what point during this process should one let the other offers go? I don't want to drag things out on their end, because they might lose the opportunity to offer it to the next person. For example, I have a school that is drawing up a formal offer right now but I am quite sure I will not end up accepting it. This does not sit well but I don't want to end it prematurely.
- What is the etiquette for removing oneself from a search - an email or an official letter, or a phone call?
- I interviewed at a couple of places that are not going to be able to compete with University A but have not finished their interview/search process. Do I contact the search chairs at schools that have still not made a decision on who to hire and remove myself from the search? Or should I let them go ahead and consider me, and only address this if I am the one who gets the offer? Again, I don't want to waste anyone's time.