I believe that I have 5 to 6 more faculty positions pending before I can "throw in the towel" for employment this year. I had three phone interviews a few weeks ago and I am also waiting on three other positions with late deadlines. One of the three positions I interviewed at recently has invited me for a campus interview. I'm sure I'll hear from the other two shortly (maybe). The campus interview is at a school that does not value research and the teaching load is 5x5. I worry that I would never ever be able to leave such a position. I believe I will have a better chance on the market next year, if I do not get an offer from a faculty position, postdoc, or receive my grant.
How silly would it be to turn down the school with the 5x5 course load to adjunct for a year (or maybe less)? I would adjunct at the school I attend now and I would be able to continue to publish and conduct research. Furthermore, I could also resubmit my grant for a stronger chance as well.