Hi all, I went on a campus interview at a smaller liberal arts school in late January. I thought the interview went extremely well - my teaching interests align with the needs of the department, my teaching and research talks went very well, and everyone in the department seemed very enthusiastic about me.
My dilemma is that the chair of the search committee told me at the end of the interview that they were going to try to reach a decision in about two weeks. It has now been four weeks. Should I continue to hold out hope that I might get an offer (assuming that search committees are generally overly optimistic in their time lines), or should I assume that they have offered the position to someone else? I already emailed the chair once a week or so ago to check on the status of the search, and I received a vague reply stating that they were still "working on the position." So, I'm hesitant to contact him again because I don't want to be a pest.
Not sure what I expected to come from that email anyway because if they had offered the position to someone else they probably wouldn't tell me because I doubt they would want me to know that I am their second (or possibly third) choice. Also, does anyone know whether, prior to the official offer from the dean or president, committees are permitted to tell a candidate that they have been chosen?