Hi everyone, hoping to get some feedback to help me make figure out how to best handle a situation at my postdoc.
I am currently a few years into a postdoc and put out applications this fall for TT jobs at a couple R1s and R2s. Got a couple of interviews, but nothing materialized. I figured that I would stay at my postdoc for this coming year.
Recently I saw a late job posting and asked my supervisor for a reference letter and while she provided me with one, she also said the she needed to know if there was any chance that I wouldn't be back next year because if there was, she would need to replace me. (In my lab I saw this happen once before to a friend of mine. He asked for a letter and shortly thereafter was given 5 days to decide whether he planned to stay on for another year before they put out ads for his job.) Thinking that my chance of getting a job this late in the season was pretty much zero, I assured my supervisor that I was committed to staying on another year.
Here's the rub, one of the TT positions I applied for in the fall recently contacted me and offered me an interview. They let me know that they are only bringing me in at this point. I am not super excited about the position as the program isn't very strong, but would like to check things out. It may be a good opportunity with potential, it may not. I agreed to interview in a few weeks but have yet to tell my supervisor. This coming week I am scheduled to meet with my supervisor to talk about renegotiating my contract for next year. I am not sure how to approach things with my supervisor. I am pretty sure that if I tell my supervisor, she'll at a minimum give me the 5 days to make a decision, if not out right start looking to replace me. If the interview doesn't go well, or if it's not the right fit, I will be in big trouble without a job especially since I support my wife and new baby.
What is the best way to discuss this with my supervisor?Is there one? I would like to be open and honest, but I'd also like to not sacrifice my position for an interview at a school that may or may not work out.
I appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.