I don't know if I am seeking advice, per se or more just venting. I had an interview a few weeks ago at a place that I really liked. It is located in the same city as my family and only a few hours from my husband's parents. My husband also has some good mob propsects i. The city. After the interview I feel that I had very positive feedback from a number of faculty. I also received an email from the dept chair saying they would make a decision within 2 weeks (which is tomorrow) and that I should let him know if anything on my end would require th sc to move more quickly. I am assuming that meant if i got another offer. I took this as a positive sign but now I am just convinced that it hasn't worked out, they've already offered the job to someone else, etc. this is all to say that the waiting is excruciating, and I feel that no news is NOT good news. I am sure people are, or have been in this situation before. Perhaps I blocked it from my memory, but I don't remember feeling this way when I applied for and got the current position that I have (tt at a large R1). I just served on an sc at my institution and we moved very quickly, although i know institutions vary on their level speediness with these things so I should not try to compare across institutions. That's it, just had to vent and send this out to the wiki world. Any support, condolenses, relaxation exercises, etc would be appreciated!
Date: 05 Dec 2012 02:41
Number of posts: 28
RSS: New posts
Sorry, I meant to say my husband has good JOB prospects in the same city, not MOB prospects! Stupid pad!
In my experience, no news is bad news usually (but not always). I got an offer for my current position 2 days after the last person interviewed. I know that offers were made within 3-5 days after the final interview at the other places I interviewed at as well - 1 place waited a month to send the official rejection to me and one just never contacted me again. No news for more than a week or two thus typically means someone else got the offer and they are waiting to see how that person responds. That said, there are exceptions when an institution might be debating over two candidates or awaiting approval from the dean or provost. So I wouldn't lose hope yet, but I agree that the waiting game SUCKS and that getting no news is unfortunate and stressful.
I'll be the optimist and say that you shouldn't feel so down just yet. If they told you it would be 2 weeks, then wait the full 2 weeks before getting too stressed out (and maybe give them another day or three to account for SC meeting conflicts, administrative hold-ups, etc.). Last year one place told me it would be a month before I heard; I emailed after about 28 days when I got another offer and they sent me a note the next day with an update, as they had just met. At my current job I was notified of a job offer after about 10 days… which is pretty close to 2 weeks.
Do you know if you were the first or last to interview? That makes a big difference. If you were first, 2 weeks seems completely reasonable (and perhaps kind of fast). If you were last, maybe there's a reason to be worried, but still, they told you it would be 2 weeks so don't read too much into it!
I hope you'll keep us updated, especially if it's good news. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! :)
Thanks for the responses! I was the second to last to interview. After me was ABCT and then thanksgiving. So the dept chair said that the sc and faculty would be delayed in meeting because of thanksgiving and end of semester stuff. I know it did take 2weeks between the phone interview and the invitation for on campus interview because the administration took time apProving the list of candidates. I agree with the first poster: even if they had made a decision and were waiting for dean or provost approval, do you think that someone would be in touch to provide the info informally? Like "hey, we picked you, we are just waiting for formal approval". This is why I think no news is bad news :)
I wouldn't worry yet. In my experience, this could mean anything (as discussed above), and they did anticipate two weeks (and these things never seem to go much faster than they estimate). The feedback you got - particularly that email from the Chair - sounds promising. My guess is that they either have not met yet, or they did and you are not first choice but second (which is also great); many second-choices get jobs. So, take away message: Still a lot of reason to be optimistic!!
I would send a very short email to the Chair to reiterate your interest. I'm not sure if that is the "RIGHT" thing to do, but I probably would. Knowing you are likely to accept is a good thing. Failing that, perhaps your husband's mob prospects could put some pressure on…? ;)
I would not give up hope at all at this point. My other advice would be to keep in mind that even if you are not the first person to get an offer for this job, you might still be in the running.
I would wait until the 2 weeks is up then write to the chair and ask if she can provide a status/time-table update. In my SC experience, long delays are a bad sign. The upshot is sounds like they thought you were very well qualified even if you aren't the number one in terms of fit. At this point, your worry is interest on borrowed trouble. Find some distraction for a few days…
I interviewed for my current job (tt at an R1) last January and didn't get the offer until the end of April. And believe it or not, of the stories I heard about the market last year, this is not totally unusual. So I wouldn't abandon hope. It's also possible that they could offer the job to someone else but you could eventually get it (this is what happened to me last year).
this is just a supportive — i'm right there with you with high stress and anxiety. i'm also dealing with my partner's prospects and i'm worried about timing. for the dream position, i was the last candidate last week… which means they're meeting this week… so it seems like it should be an "any day now" kind of thing… but then i try to remind myself that someone could have been a better fit and the humbleness kicks in.
i'd be fine waiting if i had an idea where i stood… and actually, the idea of having to make a decision before xmas is also stressful.