Is anyone in the position of having an offer in hand, but you have other interviews coming up? Or haven't heard from other places you interviewed? Curious about how people typically handle this…
Date: 02 Jan 2013 16:04
Number of posts: 8
RSS: New posts
I suggest you handle it by jumping up and down and clapping your hands like a child on Christmas morning. An offer is awesome….and not easy to come by, so enjoy!
blah-olidays has a point. ;-P
I think it's perfectly reasonable to contact places you interviewed and tell them you have an offer but would like to know where you stand with them before proceeding (assuming you would prefer to work for them).
In terms of interviews coming up, that's tougher and really depends on (1) the timeline you have to decide on the offer in hand, and (2) whether you would really prefer the job at the upcoming interview to the offer you have in hand.
Thanks blah-olidays— But I should say that I am NOT in this position. I don't have an offer… just curious about how people handle this (especially as someone that might be farther down the line of getting an offer if someone else declines).
I am in exactly this situation. Let me share with you my reasoning which may or may not be correct. So I received an offer a few days ago from SCHOOL #1 (one of my top choices). They have given me roughly 3 weeks to reply. I have 3 interviews lined up for January. For school #4, I am going to cancel because 1) I dont really see a fit with the research interest of the current faculty 2) The school is located in a very expensive (and cold) part of the country which would make it hard to buy a home and 3) the timeline is so far away from the deadline of the school that has already made me an offer.
I am tempted to cancel the other two interviews (SCHOOL #2 and #3) as well since they are both located in expensive parts of the country (I have been surprised how much housing prices have played in my decision making process). However, for the time being, i am going to go through the interview because these are internationally recognized universities, I feel a good fit with the faculty and I could conceivably take the position. Besides, I could at the very least leverage a bigger start up package if I have a second offer in hand. For SCHOOL #3, I am doubtful that I will hear from them before the deadline from SCHOOL #1 but I am still interviewing because you never know what will happen.
Not saying my approach is correct but I wanted to share this with you. Any thoughts?
Interviews have big benefits. It's excellent networking (e.g., find new friends/collaborators). It's sharing your ideas and getting feedback from diverse folks. It's a chance to experience other organizations and practices. It's potentially a way to get a raise (e.g., easy leverage for a chair to argue for 3K more in salary). Lots of reasons to do it.
Wouldnt telling the other school that you have an offer in hand make it more likely that they would reject you? Why offer the position to someone with an offer in hand rather than the runner up who does not.
Knowing someone has an offer is a good thing, from the school's perspective. It confirms their perception that the candidate has a highly desirable research program, and may spur them into action. A decent school isn't going to say "oh no, she has an offer, we shouldn't interview her" they are going to say "what can we do to make sure we have a shot at snagging her?"