I received an offer before the holidays. Hooray! I've since been invited to a couple other places for interviews, and after informing them of my other offer, they both offered to move the interviews forward so I would have an opportunity to interview there before I have to decide. After talking to my spouse and advisors a lot, I've decided that I really should decline at least one of these interviews (possibly both). It is in an extremely attractive location to my partner and me, but the job just isn't strong enough to justify turning down my offer for, and I'd like the interview to go to another candidate. However, I feel oddly nervous about canceling and keep postponing doing it. One issue is that it's taking longer than expect to get an official offer in writing from the original place. Things have been delayed by the holidays, and I still don't have one, and may not for another week. Are there any circumstances where a clear verbal offer from the department somehow was revoked in the start-up negotiation process? Am I being paranoid by being reluctant to cancel my interview?
Date: 02 Jan 2013 20:13
Number of posts: 6
RSS: New posts
I would advise that you do not cancel anything and not mention any offers until you have the official offer in hand.
I am in a similar boat. I am leaning towards canceling my interview since I am not the last candidate for the position which means it will be a while before I hear anything at all. Also, I dont feel very strong about the department and I will likely not be able to use the school to bargain against the current school that has made me an offer.
Take all of the interviews. You might get the offer and it will help you negotiate. Or you might end up liking the school you visit more than you thought you would. Also, just because you turn down the interview doesn't mean the school will invite someone else.
p.s. an offer isn't real until it is in writing. Horror stories involving retractions of verbal offers are extremely rare, but you do hear them.