I have an offer in hand. But there are two other schools I interviewed with which I have not heard from. I assume that I am not their first choice. Should I inform these other schools of my existing offer? If so, how would you suggest I phrase this. I dont want to sound snooty.
Date: 04 Jan 2013 02:48
Number of posts: 6
RSS: New posts
I was in this situation and here's what I wrote to the search chair:
"I wanted to let you know that I have received an offer from another school, and they would like my decision by X. I am of course still highly interested in the position at Y, so I wondered if you might be able to share any information about the status of the search and where I stand."
Thank you anyjob! Is there any way this could backfire? I mean, I could imagine how it could backfire if you were still awaiting to interview but I interviewed in these places in late November. I dont know why I am so paranoid about this. I just dont want to leave a bad taste in their mouth as the guy who was rushing them. I am such a noob.
Oh I'm totally a noob too. But it sounds like the consensus on here is that this kind of communication is completely acceptable. In my case I had also assumed that I wasn't their first choice, and that's in fact what they confirmed in their response to me (they had made an offer to their first choice, and that person had verbally accepted). FWIW, I definitely didn't get the feeling that they were offended by my inquiry. And I was happy to get the honest answer from them, even if it meant that I wasn't getting an offer.
Absolutely let the other schools know. There is no way this would backfire - it just helps you figure out where other places are in their decision process.
I am just worried the other school will get turned off if they feel they can't compete with your second offer.