Ok wiki followers, here goes….I really need your advice. And apologies in advance that this is really long!
. I am currently 2.5 years into my TT position at a large (not really prestigious) R1 institution. I have a decent number of pubs in many good journals, and several small grants as PI (none yet from NIH; but a few submitted and under review). My husband is also employed in the same department as myself, first as a postdoc and then as a visiting research assistant professor. He does not like the instability of being 100% soft money and major budget cuts have made some points in his career very uncertain. He applied for several jobs this season, as did I. Ideally we wanted to move to the location where our parents live. A large urban area. I received a job interview for a position in that area, but I did not end up getting the offer. My hubby got an excellent job offer and we decided it is best for him to take it, rAther than have us start all over again from the beginning next season and try to find 2 jobs again. Let me mention that the location where we want to move has tons of universities and a lot of research institutions. I also want to mention that even if my hubby were to get a TT at our current institution, we both agree that we would not want to stay and ultimately want to move close to our families.
So, here is where I need advice. I have been applying like crazy for all types of positions: governmemt jobs, private research institutions, foundations, and postdoctoral fellowships. Ideally I would prefer an academic position, but we all know that the season for academic jobs is over and will not pick up again until the end of summer. So, do I wait to go on the job market again in the fall, being apart from my hubby for a year and half or longer (provided I am successful at landing an academic job the begins in 2014); or do I take a postdoctoral fellowship that would allow me to move to the area by August, hone a particular research skill that I do not possess, and thus build my CV and publish more? Would it hurt my chances of getting an another academic job when search committee members see that I was in TT position and then moved to a postdoc? Do I give up a TT line for something with less pay, but 100% research time, or do I stay in the TT, be away from hubby, and possibly have to start all over again job hunting next year? I Have to say, I am not loving my TT here. My institution does not shield junior faculty from engaging in a lot of service activities, the students are not very motivated to work hard or learn, and the amount of paperwork needed to accomplish any task is ridiculous.
Sorry this is so long! I felt that need to make sure you all know the entire story. It's complicated.
I would like to add that I found out in mid December that I did not receive an offer for the job in which I had interviewed. I have been sending out applications, but it's a tricky time of year with the holidays. I have heard from a few individuals whom I contacted about postdocs, but not from positions in research foundations.