So I've been having this debate with colleagues… When is a good time to contact a search committee about the progress of the search and when is it out of line? They suggest I should NEVER contact the committee without an offer in hand… however, would it be wrong if you feel you have already established a rapport and you know they like you (in this case, pre campus visit)
Date: 04 Feb 2013 18:21
Number of posts: 10
RSS: New posts
I agree with your colleagues. If the SC had good news they'd be telling you. I think you just need to wait.
If you haven't been invited to a campus interview, then DON'T contact them. There are 200+ people in your situation. If they are interested in you, they will let you know.
I think that, if they have not contacted you at all, then there is no reason or justification for contacting them. If you had some personal contact with them already such as a phone interview or in-person interview, then I think you'd be ok to politely contact them if you have a reason to. For example, if you have gotten another offer while waiting to hear back from them, they might need to know. In contrast, if you're just like "hey, am I getting an offer?" then don't contact them. As noted above, if they are going to contact you, they will on their own.
Agreed. I wouldn't contact the SC unless you have another offer in hand. If they wanted to offer you a job/interview, they'd get in touch. Although I agree it's EXTREMELY frustrating that SC often just leave us hanging, forever.
But every contact you have with them, especially an "unplanned" one, is an opportunity for them to develop negative feeling towards you or for you to do something "wrong."
I am wondering what people think about whether one should contact a search committee/chair when you have a verbal offer from another school and are negotiating prior to getting the written letter, or if you should only contact them once you have the written offer with details in hand?
Also, I am wondering if it could backfire to tell a school you have interviewed at about an offer you have received from somewhere else before that school has made their decision? Has anyone heard of things like that happening? i.e., that an offer in hand plays against you when a vote is being made?
If you are in negotiations, then you should contact the SC. Do you want them to make the decision after you've signed your contract?
Moreover, if they are biased toward you, then knowing you are in negotiations will make them loss aversive. If they are biased toward someone else, then knowing you are in negotiations will make the decision easier. Either way, ambiguity gets reduced.
I am in a tight position where, following my discussion with my chair that I was pursuing an external TT position (my current position is not one), a my chair very quickly facilitated the creation of a faculty position that largely parallels my current position/specialization and I was strongly encouraged to apply. I suspect the TT position may be a better fit, but my current institution wants to move forward quickly and the TT institution is still in limbo. I didn't delve into a story, but I did share that I was hoping for insight on the timeline based on other opportunities, etc, and will try and post an update if this leads to any clear impact. My assumption is precisely what AAAAAAAHHHAAAAHH mentioned: if they're interested, they'll reduce the ambiguity - the worse case scenario is I've already missed a short list and I've created an opportunity to remove ambiguity in that way.
I'm also in a situation where I'm unsure whether to (re-)contact a SC. I had an offer from department B, so I contacted department A (my top choice) to tell them and get a sense for their timeline. They replied with an email that suggested that while I was not their top choice, I was not out of the running. I have since declined the offer at department B for a variety of professional and personal reasons, and am wondering whether to re-contact department A to tell them this. It's been a couple of weeks so I worry that if I still had any chance at A, they have assumed I waited as long as I could with B and, not hearing from A, took the job at B (i.e., that I'm committed elsewhere and off the market). I'd like A to know that I am still available and very interested. On the other hand, I don't want to pester them. Thoughts?
@anonx3 — i think this is a situation where you shouldn't contact them. it sounds like they made an offer to another person and are waiting to see if they accept. if the 1st choice doesn't, and you were the next choice, they'd contact you.
i don't think, by you telling them you're still very interested, will change their ranked order in the event that the 1st choice declines.