I received a job offer yesterday from a great psych department at a SLAC school, although the location isn't great. I have also had recent phone interviews at other schools that have yielded invites for a site interviews. Both of the new positions are in significantly better locations than the concrete offer school. The problem is that the concrete offered position is giving me the standard couple weeks to consider, and the site visits won't occur until mid-Jan.
I know that previous threads suggested 'delay tactics', such as delaying on the contract details like startup funds, and then delaying on actually signing it. But I really hate to play that game. It feels very deceitful to a wonderful search chair and department and from a school that I might be happy to join.
Is it wrong to simply say, "Well, I love your program, but there is a question of location, and I have two interviews already lined up and I would like to see them through"? Isn't this what regular people (non-academics) do when they are hunting for jobs?
Thanks for whatever advice you might be able to offer.