About three weeks ago I got a call from a school I interviewed at and they said that although they had decided to offer the job to someone else, they wanted to make sure I was still interested in the position as I was their clear second choice. The department chair let me know that they would be sending the formal offer out later that week and would only give him/her two weeks to respond and would be in touch with me along the way as things progressed and wanted me to keep them in the loop regarding any change on my front. Since then, I've been on another interview and still am waiting to hear from that school and two others, but really have nothing new to report to the chair. That being said, the two week period for the first choice has passed and I have not heard anything. Would you contact the chair and inquire about the status of the offer they extended and maybe just let them know that your interviews are done for and now you are just waiting, or would you just sit tight? I'm just surprised I haven't heard anything from them either way since they were so communicative up front about me being the second choice, etc. I am not sure how common this is, so any advice regarding how to proceed would be greatly appreciated!
Date: 27 Feb 2014 17:30
Number of posts: 8
RSS: New posts
I have been in this situation in the past. I went ahead and contacted the chair. It seems very reasonable to me to ask for a status update so you know where the situation is and where you stand.
I think you can contact the chair. I imagine the first person got an extension on their decision. That happens a lot because really 2 weeks is quite short.
Thanks everyone. I've been wanting to contact her, but just didn't know if it would be appropriate. I'll keep you updated! At this point I've already set myself up to not get the job (i.e. the first person accepted), so anything else would be a pleasant surprise. I just want to know!
i agree with Applicant—the person with the offer probably got an extension.
I've been in this situation several times, and in at least one of the cases, the chair forgot to contact me and let me know that someone had accepted. I would not feel bad checking in. Good luck!